It is a building that was completed in December, 1900 for consul duty of Japan, after the establishment of Mokpo Port, and after independence it has been used as Mokpo City Hall, municipal library, and Mokpo Cultural Institute. It is the oldest building in Mokpo among modern buildings that is also sufficiently large, so it is a representative heritage. It retains its exact shape from the point of construction so it has got its worth as a heritage approved: Now it is a National Historic Site number 289. It has opened as a history museum in February 2014. It has an important role as a realistic place to learn history, so that we may not repeat the mistakes of the past, and as a tourism resource.